The Carolina Raptor Center has a new Eagle that was born on February 12 to the center's two resident American Bald Eagles Savannah and Derek.
The eaglet will one day be released on its own into the wild. Two weeks ago Charlotte's WCNC News kicked off a name the Eaglet contest and Cedar Posts was urged to suggest naming it "Noah" after Lance Corporal Noah M. Pier who was killed in action on February 16 in Afghanistan.
More than 800 names were submitted in WCNC's "Name the Eaglet contest" and the Carolina Raptor Center has narrowed the list down to five names including "Noah".
1) Noah for Lance Corporal Noah M. Pier, the most recent area marine to die in service to his country.
2) Lincoln for the eaglet born on Abraham Lincoln's birthday.
3) Olympus or Olympia in honor of the US Olympic team that dominated the medal count in the 2010 Olympics.
4) Colbert for Stephen Colbert, comedian and lover of eagles of all kinds.
5) Wohali/Awahili for "eagle" in Cherokee.
Cedar Posts can't imagine a tribute to a fallen Marine more fitting than the naming an Eagle in his memory. What a wonderful day it will be, when we all can watch "Noah" take flight, to soar over the country that Lance Corporal Noah M. Pier gave his life to defend.
So please vote for the name "Noah" by visiting WCNC's Eagle Page which is right here.
The deadline to submit your vote is Monday, March 8 at 12 p.m. and the winning name will be announced Monday, March 8 on WCNC.com and NewsChannel 36.