Tuesday, March 16, 2010

How Many Will Answer The Census Info Request?

I don't know about you but the census form I got in the mail today seems pretty nonthreatening. Frankly I'm not crazy about entrusting the federal government with any personal information, but they aren't asking for anything they don't already know.

There is a tiny bit of nostalgia in putting your name down on the form. On line I've found a copy of a 1880 census report that listed my great grandfather. I think it is nice to know that long after I'm gone someone can look up my name and see that I once existed. Of course that is assuming it's not someone wanting to create a fake identity.

Jerry Day doesn't agree with the census bureau asking personal questions. It should be noted that to be selected for a personal census interview you've got to beat some pretty big odds so chances are you won't get a knock on the door. Mr. Day's YouTube census comment is below.

However having my home's GPS coordinates logged into some government computer just doesn't seem like a good idea. The whole big brother "eagle eye" thing is pretty unnerving.

As for the paper form I'm thinking of just doing it, but with the name of someone else, Elvis, or Wesson Smith, heck maybe even John Edwards or Rutt Mutt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tossed mine in the trash!

ThaQueenCity said...

There was nothing to it! I had heard they had TONS of personal questions, was only about who lived there????