Thursday, February 21, 2013

Augusta Georgia Plane Crash

Five bodies from last night’s plane crash at the Thomson-McDuffie County Airport near Augusta Georgia, have been taken to the GBI crime lab in Atlanta.

The aircraft was much like this Beechcraft Hawker

John Bankhead, public information officer for the GA Bureau of Investigation said that the five bodies will undergo autopsies there in the coming days.

McDuffie County Fire Rescue Chief Bruce Tanner said that the bodies were removed from the scene around 4 a.m. today.

Tanner said that the bodies were strewn throughout the main crash site. He added that the wreckage stretched for about a mile.

NTSB officials say the plane was attempting to land at the Thomson McDuffie Regional airport just after 8 p.m. last night when the pilot over-shot the runway.

Witnesses said that they saw the plane over run the runway then pull up to avoid the Milliken plant building. Tanner said that the plane clipped a set of large electric transmission lines that run behind Milliken, shearing off one entire wing.

Power to more than 5,000 electric customers was out for a brief time last night in McDuffie and Columbia counties. The power at the Kinsgley Mill plant was turned back on this morning. Tanner said there were two survivors. One of the survivors was the pilot who was found by rescue workers as they arrived, walking about 300 feet from the wreckage. The other survivor was found in the wreckage still in his front cockpit seat. Both were airlifted out to the GA Regents Medical Center trauma unit; however GRU says that they have one victim at the hospital who is listed in critical condition.

Members of the NTSB go team have arrived in Thomson and are expected to have a press conference sometime today to give preliminary information on the crash. There is still no confirmation on the identities of the victims.

Cedar's Take: This accident has some surprising similarities to the 2010 crash of Jack Roush's private jet at Oshkosh. WI.

Same identical aircraft also doing a go around.

From Wikipedia:

On July 27, 2010, Roush crash-landed in his Hawker Beechcraft Premier 390 jet, (registration N6JR,) during an approach to the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) AirVenture Fly-In in Oshkosh, Wisconsin in the late afternoon.[5] He walked out of the plane and was taken to a nearby hospital.[6] His condition was listed at serious but stable that evening. On August 3, Roush was upgraded to fair condition.[6] On August 13, Roush made his first at track appearance since the incident at the Michigan International Speedway. During that time he confirmed that he fractured his back, broke his jaw, and lost his left eye as a result.[7] The National Transportation Safety Board attributed the cause of the crash to pilot error, specifically, "pilot's decision not to advance the engines to takeoff power during the go-around, as stipulated by the airplane flight manual, which resulted in an aerodynamic stall at a low altitude."

Also see:

The owners of Vein Guys had recently traded up from the Beechcraft King Air to the higher performance Hawker Beechcraft Jet

No comments: