Thursday, March 13, 2014

Gettleman Statement

When I took this position I knew that difficult decisions would have to be made along the way. To move on from a storied veteran player is probably the most difficult of all. A decision not to be taken lightly. However, after much thought I feel very strongly it’s the right one.

As I’ve stated many times, all decisions I make will be in the long term best interest of the Carolina Panthers. Decisions, either popular or unpopular, have to be made for the greater good and it is imperative to take an unemotional global view.

Sometimes it may appear that short term interests will suffer, and I can assure you we have no interest in taking a step back from our 2013 accomplishments. Nevertheless, like all NFL teams, we are in transition as we try to get into the best position going forward. When Mr. Richardson hired me I promised him that my goal would be to leave the Panthers in a better position than when I came. All my efforts are in that vein.

Over the next few months we will have the opportunities afforded by Free Agency and the College Draft to improve our roster. We also have young players who will get an opportunity. I have great trust in our evaluation process.

Steve had a wonderful career with the Carolina Panthers. I truly wish him and his wife, Angie, all of God’s blessings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its Rodney Monroe's fault

Anonymous said...

Someone go leave a bag of shit on Gettleman's front steps:
1622 Fountain View St Charlotte, NC 28203
https://goo.gl/maps/vNqAP

Anonymous said...

I really hate to see 89 leave as he is so much the personality of this team as well as a phenomenal player but for us fans this is just a sport but for the franchise this is a business pure and simple - big money and they are going to make business decisions - period. I think this is a big mistake and has a good chance of coming back to bite them - only time will tell. 89 will land on his feet and maybe wind up somewhere to get a shot at a ring before he retires.