Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Investment Commentary - Oh By The Way People Are Strange

I saw the following commentary on the current investment market, interest rates, trade wars and Trump and thought it was interesting. I often retweet things I find of interest so I can read them later. It doesn't mean I agree or side with the author or anything else.

Camp Kotok is an interesting meeting of what some might call the most connected people in America. Economists and investment advisers as well as leading thinkers and writers. I personally do not rate an invitation but I know many of those who do, and I know the location like the back of my hand because I'm married to a girl from Maine.

So read The Marine Surprise Was Time by John Mauldin or don't. John's take on Trump, investment policy and more is interesting or super dry depending on your thinking.

On the other hand the Braves are playing and the deer are in the back yard again so the heck with economics.



By the way if you don't follow CP on twitter you are missing a lot of stuff from perspective. Since I tend to enjoy poking local media and GuvCo types an in the eye, so I get a lot of grief. Most of that dirt thrown my way from is from liberals that troll twitter endlessly.

I see a lot of "White Privilege Much?" or the classic, "Yacht Captain, Pilot, Investment Banker - yeah sure you just keep dreaming".  Amazing so many people are doubters, I guess I've come to accept that and oh by the way people are strange.

Blogger, Shooter, Yacht Captain, Pilot, Investment Banker, Life Long Southerner and Country Boy.....????

Well the answer is yes, I've had some really great jobs and some not so great jobs.

I've pumped gas in the 1970's as a kid, bagged groceries, cleaned offices, mowed golf courses, worked high rise construction. No kidding I actually helped built 600 Cherokee in Charlotte's Myers Park one summer, almost fell to my death couple of times. Worked on a farm, I can drive a tractor, bulldozer, back hoe, bobcat, forklift and a skid steer.

I worked at CDIA in air freight and was nearly killed by an "A" container on a Flying Tigers International flight. I actually owe my life to someone who pulled me out of the way. I worked on the flight line at Thurston Aviation. I soloed in a Piper 180 at 17. Almost hit a TV tower in a thunderstorm with a Beechcraft Baron, and some how manged to survive to where I have just over 2100 hours total time.

I did my first boat charter at 12 made $8.00. Since then I've driven everything from Hobie 18's to 90' Lazzara Yachts.

I worked for the Charlotte Observer as well as Stan and Sis Kaplin's WAYS and WROQ and the Weekly Newspapers.

Then I got smart and realized I wasn't making enough money in media and interviewed with a guy named Mac Everett. I've made a good living doing what I like.

I made a choice when I was maybe 20 when I figured out that working for an hourly wage wasn't in my best interest. I also learned that if one job was good two was even better particularly if you could do both at the same time which of course nixed the hourly or salaried job idea.

When it comes to politics, I'm a constitutional conservative but that doesn't mean I'm heading to Washington anytime soon. I'm a capitalist and a small business owner which means I tend to not mix business and politics or religion.

But stay turned I've got a serious back log of thoughts on Trump haters, race relations, lynching and transplants to North Carolina.

Are you ready? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell us your thoughts almighty keeper of the blog...
I am sick of all of the haters of memorials / statues. I guess they want Society to erase all of this nation's history and only start in 2012 with the Great and Powerful Obama.