Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tuesday's Odd and Ends - Unsafe At Any Hour Edition

Charlotte's Mayor Anthony Foxx and Chief of Police Rodney Monroe Play 18 Holes - Was the $500.00 per hole entry fee paid by Charlotte taxpayers?

You can't fault a guy for wanting to play a round of golf on a perfect spring day. And it is certainly understandable when the course is Charlotte's Quail Hollow.

But who pays the entry fee for Chief Monroe? Who foots the bill for Mayor Foxx? We all remember the dust up over the Mayor's trip to China and how the mayor's staff threatened big trouble if his airfare upgrade, nearly $1,200.00 wasn't reimbursed. So who pays for the pricey pro-am?

Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx pondering the fate of his 9 iron. Photo Credit Adam Jennings

The Mayor's office offers up that the golf tournament gives Anthony Fox a chance to network with area business owners and executives. Sounds reasonable, but why then is he on a team with Rodney Monroe, Dell Curry and Panther's Head Coach Ron Rivera? I'd suspect they are already sold on Charlotte.

As far as Chief Monroe, who paid his $4,500.00 entry fee? You can bet taxpayers did, just as you can bet that taxpayers paid for his day off.

CMPD Chief Rodney Monroe has a "D'oh" moment Photo Credit Adam Jennings

CMPD Chief Monroe playing in the sand again. Photo Credit Adam Jennings
The Wells Fargo has two pro-am tournaments, Monday's for those willing to pay to play, most who are local business owners and a hand full of Quail Hollow members and Wednesday's pro-am which is reserved for the major corporate sponsors, like Wells Fargo who fly in clients from all over the country to play with the pros.

The pro-am part of the tournament helps raise a tremendous amount of money for Wells Fargo Championship Charities. 

In the end team "Foxx-Monroe" would finish 20th out of 27, with a score of 62.

Cedar Posts has emailed both the mayor's office and Chief Monroe's office inquiring as to how the entry fee was paid. Nothing but crickets so far.

You can see more photos of the Mayor and Chief Monroe playing golf here.
Mecklenburg Assistant DA's Attacked - Two prosecutors were attacked in an uptown cemetery early Saturday morning.

The two, both 28, were walking from the NC Music Factory through Elmwood Cemetery about 2 o'clock Saturday morning when a man came up from behind them with a two-by-four.

"The guy came up on them running (and) the next thing you know, they're on the ground, their possessions being taken from them," said Sergeant Keith Caviness, of CMPD's robbery unit.
Caviness said the suspect didn't give either of them a chance to cooperate before he attacked with the two-by-four.

One prosecutor, a man who had offered to walk his colleague, a woman, back to her car was beaten so badly he had to be hospitalized. He has since been released and is recovering at home.

District Attorney Andrew Murray released a brief statement saying in part: "All of us here.... are members of this community and feel the impact of crimes such as this one. We're looking forward to having them back at work soon..."

Police say the suspect is a light-skinned black man in his 30s who is bald with a muscular build. They're asking anyone with information to contact their Crime Stoppers line at 704-334-1600

Cedar's Take: It has been years since I lived in Charlotte's 4th Ward. My neighbors, Sue Myrick and Harvey Gantt and I considered ourselves pioneers, living is what was once a run down doorstep to uptown. Back then I felt pretty safe at night, but that was years ago. Charlotte has become "unsafe at any hour" and you really have to be nuts to walk through Elmwood Cemetery at night. Props to the guy who did the right thing in walking the girl home, had he not this would have been a rape and homicide. 

Note to all newly minted law school grads working for the Mecklenburg County DA, this ain't Chapel Hill where you can walk from "He's Not" home at any hour and be safe.

Andrew Murray's 1st Quarter 2012 Homicide Convictions -  It is not all bad news, as Mr. Murray's homicide team brought 16 defendants to justice during the 1st quarter but most were given plea deals that amounted to nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Two of the 16 received life sentences, and remaing 14 received an average sentance of 7.3 years, and of the majority of those earned a sentence of less than 3 years. Some of those convicted will be out in less than a year making Charlotte "unsafe at any hour".

Samson Coleman, 29, pled guilty to voluntary manslaughter for the 2009 killing of Carmelo Velador Barrera, 31 and was sentenced to 246-324 months in prison.

David Croome, 26, pled guilty to voluntary manslaughter for the 2010 killing of Robert Long Jr., and was sentenced to 51-71 months in prison. Deterio Brice, 30, pled guilty to involuntary manslaughter and admitted being an habitual felon for the 2010 killing of Michael Smith, 29 and was sentenced to 56-77 months in prison.

Aaron Ashford, 23, pled guilty to voluntary manslaughter in connection with the 2010 killing of Juquina Harris. Aaron Ashford was sentenced to 42-60 months in prison.

Elijah Ashford, 25, pled guilty to possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, in connection with the 2010 killing of Juquina Harris. Elijah Ashford was sentenced to 19-23 months in prison.

Roshode Chapman, 18, pled guilty to voluntary manslaughter for the 2011 killing of Rashan Bouldin, 23. Chapman was sentenced to 80-105 months in prison.

Clay McCall, III, 25, was sentenced to 51-71 months in prison for his previous guilty plea to voluntary manslaughter, in connection with the 2006 killing of Clay McCall, Jr., 56.

John Outen, 55, pled guilty to second-degree murder for the 2004 murder of Ullyssee Richardson, 58. Outen was sentenced to 120-153 months in prison.

Reginald Johnson, 25, pled guilty to  two counts of first-degree murder, and attempted first-degree murder, assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, five counts of robbery with a dangerous weapon, three counts of attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon, conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon, speeding, reckless driving, misdemeanor fleeing to elude an officer, and  driving while licensed revoked, in connection with the murders of Willie Adams,16, and Angela Davis, 42, the attempted murder of Derek McClure, 19, and the felonious assault of Lavander Sinclair, 16. Johnson was Johnson to two consecutive sentences of life in prison without the possibility of parole, plus an additional 200 months in prison.

Victor Cruz-Garcia, 25, was tried for first-degree murder for the 2009 murder of Yennifer Fuentes, 31. The jury returned a verdict of guilty to the charge of second-degree murder and was sentenced to 135-171 months in prison.

Fisgerald Kilgo, 26, pled guilty to second-degree murder for the 2009 murder of Drew Thomson, 23, and was sentenced to 176-221 months in prison.

Keenan Harte, 31, was tried for first-degree murder in the 2009 murder of Brandon Blakeney, 21. The jury returned verdicts of guilty as charged and was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Zachary Rogers, 20, pled guilty to conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon, in connection with the 2010 death of Derek Roman, 26. Rogers was sentenced to 17-30 months in prison.

Jonathan Smith, 26, pled guilty to conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon, in connection with the 2010 death of Derek Roman, 26. Smith was sentenced to 23-27 months in prison.

Karizma Sergeant, 21, pled guilty to second-degree murder, for the murder of Dominic Mahone, and accessory after the fact to murder, arising out of the murder of Chaufa Johnson, Sergeant was sentenced to 225-279 months in prison.

Dawn Ward, 49, pled guilty to concealing the death of Brittini Ward, 23 and was sentenced to 6-8 months in prison; that sentence was suspended pending her successful completion of 24 months of supervised probation.


Anonymous said...

As with everything with City Government and especially with
CMPD/Command Staff, I fear you will get nothing but crickets for this latest Boondoggle.

It's all a bunch of Bullshit as is most everything that comes from the Spin Machines from our local government and CMPD.

And if either say they paid the fee, i would want to see their receipt for HOW they paid and the DATE they paid.
That is just how low their personal credibility is....verify, verify, verify!

And I have to agree with you, Monroe probably did have something to do with putting pressure on Greater Media to get rid of Larson.....as he, Cedar Posts and citynewswatch are the only ones that are not afraid of him and his corrupt machine.

Such a shame he has this stranglehold on the Media in Charlotte.

Someone said on here that he is like a Despot in a third workd country that completely controls what the Media s allowed to report and feeds them his own personal propaganda.

Anonymous said...

It would be so interesting to see the names of all the CMPD people working "off duty" jobs at the Tournament.

You can bet your ass that without exception they are all

It is nice to be King Rodney and rule with impunity.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I think this is the first time Charlotte ever had a violent crime where the victims and the suspects did not already know each other.

It is amazing that the first time this occurs, it happens to 2 ADA's.

Anonymous said...

Okay not to sound to condescending why on God's green earth would not one but two ADA'S go walking in a cemetery at night in Charlotte??

Are you sure they graduated HS? If they are dumb enough to put themselves in that predicament then I have no sympathy for them ...safety in numbers stupid...

Anonymous said...

I personally cannot wait until certain people are free to tell exactly what is going on at CMPD.

And if that is in a courtroom under oath, all the better....all the better.

Anonymous said...

Well, what would be said/assumed if this happened to 2 young males or anyone else? Also, how would CMPD spin it?

Victims and perp knew each other and/or drug deal gone bad right?

Not suggesting that is what happened here, but I don't think they deserve special treatment just because of who they are.

Bottom line, any other victim in these same circumstances would be getting trashed in the media and the story would be spun to suggest that they brought it on themselves. No worries.

Anonymous said...

I would like to see it in the court of public opinion......
all their dirty laundry aired. See how they have lied and twisted and manipulated and lied by omission.

Have a feeling that will happen!!

Anonymous said...

Don't hold your breath for any verifiable info to come from the camps of Foxx or Monroe.

And that is your answer....if they are not willing to give an honest statement, well,,,,,

And this would just be another example of no oversight and poor judgement, and once again taking advantage of the taxpayers.