Monday, August 19, 2013

Monday Odds and Ends

Monday shows up and I'm no more ready for a new week than I was last week at this time. So please forgive the typos and bad grammar.

Ashton Kutcher - The reviews on his role as Steve Jobs are mixed, his Two and 1/2 men gig is dying a slow painful death. But I've always thought Kutcher was sort of interesting. He's the guy pushing hard the technology envelope, like web casting a brainstorming session from his iPhone while in Russia a few years back.

His acceptance speech from the Teen Choice Awards was .... well brutally frank and honest and well remarkable.




Ashton broke his insight down into 3 parts, Opportunity, Sexy and Life:
 
KUTCHER: “I believe that opportunity looks a lot like hard work,” Kutcher began with his first point. “When I was 13, I had my first job with my dad carrying shingles up to the roof, and then I got a job washing dishes at a restaurant, and then I got a job in a grocery store deli, and then I got a job at a factory sweeping Cheerio dust off the ground.”
 
He went on: “And I’ve never had a job in my life that I was better than. I was always just lucky to have a job. And every job I had was a stepping stone to my next job, and I never quit my job until I had my next job. And so opportunities look a lot like work.” 

KUTCHER:  The sexiest thing in the entire world is being really smart and being thoughtful, and being generous.  Everything else is crap, I promise you.  It's just crap that people try to sell to you to make you feel like less.  So don't buy it.  Be smart, be thoughtful, and be generous
 
KUTCHER:  Everything around us that we call life was made up by people that are no smarter than you.  And you can build your own things.  You can build your own life that other people can live in.  So build a life.  Don't live one, build one.  Find your opportunities, and always be sexy.

Charlotte FBI Opps! - According to the Charlotte Observer local FBI agents are trying to locate two guns stolen from a government vehicle in SouthPark. It is not clear if this was the South Park area or the SouthPark Mall. But as CMPD points out vehicle break-ins are on the increase.

The theft happened on the evening of August 5.

Missing are: 

  • Colt M-16 equipped with a Streamlight TRL-2 and a vertical forward hand grip
  • Remington 870 shotgun with pistol grip
  • Night Vision Equipment 
  • Body Armor- olive drab in color with FBI patches
A $5,000 reward is being offered for information leading to the recovery of these items.

Anyone with information should call 704-672-6700.
 
Surprise Wedding - One of the coolest things I get to do in my real job is help couples pull off small intimate weddings and engagements aboard our yachts in Charleston.

 
By the way Charleston is the most romantic city in the world, second only to Paris. 
 
We are 37 for 37 on engagements and 100% on weddings as well, so I was a little taken back when a Charlotte resident asked if we would do a "surprise wedding".
 
Now being a true Southerner I've known a few "shotgun" weddings and most don't end well.

But as the details emerged and the fear of some gagged and hog tied groom being dragged aboard my boat passed and the compete plan came together our crew and I managed to work out the details and to keep a tight lid on the "Surprise" operation.

 
 
The crew was told only that it was a wedding and that even our "officiant" who would conduct the wedding would be dressed in our standard summer white shirts and kaki shorts, so as not to cause suspicion.

The guests were told only that they were going on a harbor cruise.

The plan was that the guests would not know it was a wedding until the boat was out in the harbor and in front of Charleston's Water Front Park. In fact the crew, some who also live in Charlotte were not even told that the bride was fellow Charlotte resident Sheri Lynch, the well known and much loved second half of the nationally heard "Bob and Sheri" show.

I'm happy to report that despite, horrid traffic on I-26, the threat of rain and a late departure we pulled it off. Congratulations to Kevin and Sheri!

As for our crew, well a spot of rum all around, Bravo Zulu!


 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I listened to Sheri talk about her wedding on air this morning, m first thought was I wonder if it was Cedar's boat.

Rea Road Neighborhood Coalition said...

Sheri was beaming really beautiful and so fun, Kevin was the man of the hour, great kids as well. Though it was a jaw dropping moment for some of their kids.

The weather held off just long enough to complete the mission and we even had a touch of sunset to finish our evening.

Anonymous said...

Cedar, check out the docket in State court for tomorrow.

i check it every day, looks interesting for tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Cedar,

Do you have any input on this TWC issue, and who the best tv/internet provider is these days?

I have TWC. I just received my bill and it went up from $110.77 to $115.93 which included a $1.89 credit for showtime.

I called TWC because I don't think they should give me an increase during a blackout since I'm getting less service. The $1.83 is just annoying.

They transferred me to retention, who informed me that they will be putting me on a step up program. They said in September my rate will go to $167 and increase until it reaches $230 something. They said that is the best they can do, but if I drop the movie channels it would drop to about $138(I only have mid level internet, basic and showtime/starz).

I think I would like to black out their service at my home entirely, but I don't want to be too hasty. Are there any better providers out there?

Any suggestions anyone has would be appreciated.