Monday, October 26, 2015

Brit Shaw Makes Her Major Motion Picture Female Lead Debut

Please excuse the "Shameless" post promoting Cedar's niece Brittany Shaw, who has the female lead in Paranormal Activity Ghost Dimension.

From Hottie Stop:
If you were among the contingent of horror fans who gathered at the multiplex this past weekend to see the finale of the PARANORMAL ACTIVITY franchise, then you saw Brit Shaw flex her fright muscles on screen. The actress, who has thus far been mostly known for her small screen work (she's been in Nashville, NCIS, Royal Pains, among others) plays a mom who finds herself and her family neck-deep in supernatural shenanigans courtesy of that dastardly entity "Tobi."
Ms. Shaw and I recently spoke about the Paranormal Activities that followed her home from set, what led her to L.A. and the entertainment industry, her science-nerd cred and her love of Julia Roberts.
Where did you grow up and where are you based now?
I'm based in L.A. I grew up in Memphis Tennessee, so I'm a southern girl at heart. I had all four seasons there, so I miss that. L.A. doesn't really get the changing of colors, so this time of year would be my favorite time in Memphis.
How long have you been in L.A.?
I wanted to get out here for acting, because I just always knew I wanted to do that. I went to the University of Missouri for a few years and I told my parents I really wanted to move to L.A. and they said, "You can't go without a job and school." So I transferred to a school out here and then I officially started acting in 2009 or 2010. I had to finagle my way into getting here and starting my career.
Did you have a rough start? Did you ever regret your decision?
You know, I never regretted it. I didn't know a soul when I first moved here, and anytime I was feeling sad or down, I thought to myself, "You chose this, you should be happy. Open the shades and start your day." I think that's with me even today, when I'm feeling down I just go, "You chose this and you're doing what you want to do."
Was there a side career that you would have pursued if acting hadn't worked out?
I just always knew I wanted to do it. I think I was in a play when I was 5-years-old playing Pumpkin Number Three and I stood up and I had to make a sound, that's all I had to do, I was hooked ever since. I'm obsessed with NASA and astronauts, so I think if something failed, that would interest me.
Are you a science geek?
I'm not a science geek, but I just love it. Maybe I am, maybe I am a science geek! Any kind of documentaries, TV shows, movies, I'm the first one there.
What are some of your favorite science shows?
The show with Neil deGrasse Tyson last year, Cosmos, I loved that. It was awesome. I just love planet Earth.
So tell me a little about your role in Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension. How did the job come about?
I got the role a year ago, in the beginning of August. It was a quick process, I went in and then they called me back later that afternoon to come in the next day. And then we started shooting two weeks later. It was crazy fast. I play Emily, she's a young mom and she and her family move into a house and find a box of tapes and a camera in it. What's so cool about this movie versus the other ones is that we're going to show the audience the activity through this camera. It's the first time the audience gets to go on this rollercoaster ride.
Had you already seen all the other films, did you have to bone up on the mythology at all?
They were really adamant about the mythology, which was cool. I had seen the first one in the theater with my hands over my face the whole time, I was so scared. I slept with the lights on for the next four days. I never would have thought I'd be starring in the last one in the franchise. There's a Paranormal bible that they follow, which is really cool, because horror movie fans are amazing and loyal. They really wanted to give the fans what they wanted and answer the questions.
Do you think it's really the final Paranormal Activity?
Paramount loves this franchise so much and has been with it from the beginning. Each movie has been so successful that they really want to give everyone what they want, which is to finish this mythology. I think they're excited to share this with the world and answer all the questions in a cool and different way. It's 3D, you have to see it in 3D, because you feel like you're with us in it.
Do you believe in the paranormal and ghosts?
I believe it's out there. One small thing happened to me and it was while we were filming. I was working on set and there was this creepy scene we shot, the last scene of the night. As I was walking to my car, I felt like there was something with me. I never felt like that on any other day, and it was one of those moments where I did that slow look over my shoulder to see if anyone was following me. It was so strong, I can really describe what it was. I ran to my car and locked the doors real quick, like a spirit can't get into my car. "I'm going to lock you out, spirit." Later that night I was asleep and at like 2:10 in the morning, my TV comes blaring on, static, at the highest volume. That's never happened before. I definitely had things going through my head, but at the end of the day I figured sometimes you can just get into that headspace when you're filming and anything can scare you.
What do you like doing when you're not working?
I just love hanging out with my friends, spending quality time with them. I work a lot and I love my work and I don't feel like it's work, so when I'm not I just like barbecuing, game nights, watching NASA documentaries. I love to play tennis, I love to be outdoors.
Are you a big sports fan? I know Tennessee is a big sports town.
Yeah, I'm actually not a UT Tennessee fan. My family all went to Mississippi State University, so I kind of got into that as a child. I love the SEC though, I love college football. I love watching the US Open and Wimbledon. I love sports.
Is there any one actor or actress you'd love to work with one day?
One that comes to mind is David O. Russell, I would love to work with him. Of course Meryl, I love Amy Adams. I would want to collaborate with great people who inspire me. I love people who love the work that we're doing.
Who is your all-time celebrity crush?
[Laughs] Oh my gosh. Who is it? Julia Roberts was literally posted all over my walls as a child. Every picture you could imagine. She was definitely an inspiration for me.
If you got to work with Julia Roberts you would be star struck?
I think I would definitely tell her. I'd be like, "Listen Jules, you want to know a couple things about me before we start. But I'm fine and cool and a professional, but here are a few things you should know about my childhood.
Thank you so much for your time, good luck with the movie!
Thank you so much, thanks for chatting!
You can follow Brit on Twitter HERE and Instagram HERE. PARANORMAL ACTIVITY: THE GHOST DIMENSION is currently in theaters and will hit VOD next month.  

Cedar's Take: Hottie Stop? Never thought of her as hot, ditto for Julia Roberts. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh, who is she?? Is she a relative or something? Maybe I missed something here

Anonymous said...

What are the benefits of "thigh-gap"?

Anonymous said...

Your head fits a lot better between them!! :)

Anonymous said...

Ha! That's Cedar's niece actually met her a few years back. Nice girl but way under fed.