Sunday, March 3, 2024

Magical Negro

The Magical Negro is to many people a tried trope in American cinema, television, and literature. 

In the movies from the United States, the Magical Negro is a supporting stock character who comes to the aid of white protagonists in a film.

Magical Negro characters, often possessing special insight or mystical powers, have long been a tradition in American fiction. The old-fashioned word "Negro" is used to imply that a "magical black character" who devotes himself to selflessly helping whites. Many claim this is a throwback to racist stereotypes such as the "Sambo" or "noble savage".

The term was popularized in 2001 by film director Spike Lee during a lecture tour of college campuses, in which he expressed his dismay that Hollywood continued to employ this premise. He specially noted the films The Green Mile and The Legend of Bagger Vance, which featured "super-duper magical Negro" characters.

I suspect that Tarzan's Samuel L Jackson would qualify as well. In fact Barrack Obama had all the qualities of a Magical Negro. However while in film the "Magical Negro" might be the hero, in real life as with Obama, he is often a disappointment. 

Perhaps only in literature and the movies does the real Magical Negro really live. Jim Mark Twain's character in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and its adaptations. Then there is "Red" in Stephen King's Shawshank Redemption.

Even Spock in Star Trek has all the qualities of a "Magical Negro".

However if it is a real event and not of film or fiction, does the magical negro still exist?

Some of the Cedar Posts stories have a strong Magical Negro equivalence. Should I "fix" them in the name of DEI? Perhaps not describe them but rather just say a person? Does the color matter? Perhaps not. But in each of these stories the skin color is the context. Just as in film the story line is not altered by race, but it is defined by race, 

International Harvester Willie Simpson

Everett Wilson A Halloween Tale

Carl

Old Joe

I have enjoyed Spike Lee's films particularly Boyz in the Hood. No wait that was John Singleton. Well I'm sure there are some films by Spike that I've enjoyed. That film with John Travolta Pulp Fiction no that was the Tarantino guy. I need to think on this some. 

So back to the "magical negro" years ago I was maybe 22 when I was nearly killed during load out OPS while moving "A" Containers. 

An "A" Container is big as in the entire width of the aircraft and rounded to fit tight against the cabin ceiling.  


While working at night, walking in the interior of which might have been a C-137 that's an old 707 at the time. Somehow I slipped my leg wedged between the floor rollers and deck of the aircraft floor as the "A" container rolled towards me. Out of nowhere this massive hand grabbed me and pulled me up and out of the way of 8,000 pounds of crunch. 

The hand belonged to a Chief Petty Officer and being magical he was a Black man.

He saved my leg and likey my life. He was not part of my detail and to this day I do not know his name or his duty station. He was not the aircraft loadmaster. 

He appeared out of nowhere pulled me to my feet checked me over asked "you're good?"  I nodded and he was gone. He simply had vanished.

To this day I owe him a thank you for saving my scrawny 140 pound ass that night on the ramp. 

Magical Negro Thank You Brother.

Recalling this story it makes me thing about all the other "Magical Negros" I've known.

Johnsey Marks

Ben at Queens Texaco

Leroy at the Johnson Building in Charlotte

Mr. Mosley at the Greenbrier Hotel

These are people who presented qualities that I myself wished to emulate. They were genuine, the real deal and would I beleive threat me the same today as they would have 30 years ago. It is just in their DNA it transcends our strikingly contrasting skin color.  


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how racist you are Cedar

Anonymous said...

So how is Cedar racist? He tells a story that for the best I can tell sounds not only factual but plausible. He expresses gratitude to someone he can't thank otherwise. He also admits that this story and others he was posted could be considered "racist" by some or even many.

Anonymous said...

Story makes me laugh. Yep those old decks in 707s were famous for clipping off body parts you were lucky.

Anonymous said...

White people positive telling stories about people of color what's next Cedar you got a leprechaun story?

Anonymous said...

Love It!

Anonymous said...

I never understood why MLK thought the trouble was with white people in the south but he took most of his protests north. Why was that?

Anonymous said...

I worked on the flight line at ORD for United and it is not a safe place at night. It's not night ops on an aircraft carrier but darn close.