Sunday, November 16, 2008

Obama's Redistribution Philosophy

I snagged this from on-line poster "Backlash" over at the Post and Courier.

Today on my way to lunch I passed a homeless guy with a sign that read 'Vote Obama, I need the money.' I laughed.

Once in the restaurant my server had on an 'Obama 08' tie, and again I laughed.



When the bill came I decided not to tip the server. He stood there in disbelief as I explained to him that I was exploring the Obama redistribution of wealth concept and that I was going to redistribute his tip to the homeless guy outside. Boy, was my waiter pissed.

I went outside, gave the homeless guy the $10, and told him to thank the server inside.

Now the homeless guy was grateful, but I knew he'd never bother to thank the waiter.

So at the end of my rather unscientific redistribution experiment, I realized the homeless guy was a little grateful for the money he did not earn but he'd never change his panhandling way and the waiter was pretty angry that I gave away the money he did earn, and will more than likely give me bad service the next time I have lunch at the same restaurant.

I guess redistribution of wealth is an easier thing to swallow in concept than in practical application.

No comments: