Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Are your voices heard in Charlotte?

That’s hard to say, but probably not. 

We’ve all seen the contentious school board and city council meetings. From small towns with folding chairs and tables, to large cities showcasing a grand dais with marble floors, angry citizens are confronting elected officials in stunning spectacles of disorder.


I doubt anyone’s voice was heard during those meetings.

But why the outrage? 

I suspect that citizens and taxpayers are fed-up. It is not out of control crime, CRT or gender madness, or even mask mandates. It is the lack of response, simply stated the inability or unwillingness of elected officials to engage the public.

Countless Charlotte neighbors have sent emails to Charlotte City Council members in the past two weeks objecting to the Gillespie Property Rezoning in South Charlotte. Some received canned replies, most did not receive any reply at all.

My wife emailed Charlotte Mayor Vi Lyles and promptly received a polite and considerate response which in part said. “Thank you for your email and for sharing your concerns.  I would encourage you to also share them with the City Council.” Which she did.

Ed Driggs did not respond, neither did LaWana Mayfield, Braxton Winston, Tariq Bokhari or James Mitchell.

Dimple Ajmera responded with a “I’ll continue working with the district 7 representative” not actually naming Ed Driggs but suggesting that the appropriate source of contact was the unnamed “District 7 Representative” and not an at large city council member.

So, my wife wrote back:

Council Member Ajmera,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I am grateful for your willingness to work with Mr. Driggs. However, as an “at-large" council member I would appreciate it if you wouldn't mind working with me directly on this petition.  In fact, what I'd like to do is invite you and your family to come out to Piper Glen and allow me to introduce you to our eagles, "Piper and Glen" one afternoon. (Informally of course.)

I think if you see firsthand their home, their recently hatched offspring, and the proximity to this proposed project you will be able to obtain a greater understanding of the area and why this project is a terrible idea.

Please let me know I'm happy to work around your busy schedule.

And as you might expect, nothing but crickets.

In the years past my experience with Charlotte’s politicians has been exceptional.

I knew Dan Ramirez and his wife CeCe and considered him a good friend. Andy Dulin was always happy to meet for coffee. Richard Vinroot for years had the seats in the row behind ours at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill.  We talked about football, we talked about crime and traffic, but mainly football. Go Heels!

My wife served on Sue Myrick’s small business advisory board. Roy Cooper, always recognizes me but can’t remember my name. Jim Martin thinks I’m my father. Harvey Gannt, Matthew Ridenhour, Parks Helms, Pat McCrory, Joel Ford just to name a few have always been engaged and ready to listen.

I’ve never not received a response from Erskine Bowles, even when he was White House Chief of Staff for Barack Obama. Always felt honored, until I learned that Bowles responds with handwritten notes to everyone! The man is pure class.

D. G. Martin was beyond a doubt, the most personal and gregarious Charlotte politician I’ve ever met. With a huge smile on his face, he’d thrust his hand out, and announce “Hi, I’m D. G. Martin”! Never mind you’ve just rear-ended his brand-new BMW. He too would personally answer any email or letter.

Last fall, my wife ran into a bureaucratic road block in Washington, and emailed Tom Tills' office for help. Within 2 hours she had a response and inside 72 hours a solution. And a week later a follow-up letter from Senator Tillis.

Sadly most of Charlotte’s politicians today are aloof, full of hubris, indignant when questioned, and self-serving.

Guess how we are going to change that?

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ed Driggs is a joke. He is totally owned by developers. He will sell out and then tell you he did the best he could.

Anonymous said...

The WOKE Clowns on Charlotte City Council are leading the charge to rid CMPD of competent officer. Baxton voted against providing CMPD ammunition on Tuesday like that sink in.

Anonymous said...

Developers have lined the pockets of Charlotte City Council for years, dig deeper and you'll understand why Ed Driggs folding like a lawn chair. Bakori and Pimple as well but let's not single them out I'll do some research and give you facts.

Anonymous said...

Cedar it won't ever by like that again. Might as well accept that and get out of town while you can!

Anonymous said...

Cedar, the politicians in this town can’t answer any questions because they don’t know anything. Marcus Jones tells them they don’t have any authority and they believe him. It amazes me how a council manager form of government has turned into a manager council form of government. Department heads making six figures with frozen budgets six months into the year, crime through the roof and let’s not forget we should answer your medical calls with no lights and siren. We are the largest city in the country that has a non existent city council that allows a city manager to not manage anything as long as special projects in the districts get funded. Someone needs to be asking ed Driggs who buys that coffee he gives out on fridays. Or why city take home cars get driven out of the county. Or why department heads don’t live in the city. The answers to those questions would probably explain why no one cares, because the decision makers don’t live in the city and city council well Marcus told them they ain’t in charge anyway

Anonymous said...

We are screwed and I'd bet these clowns buy enough votes to not only give themselves four year terms but they'll add on a raise.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't let anyone of them step through my front door. Republican or Democrat.

Anonymous said...

You obviously are not of the 21st century's power persuasion. This is Charlotte, Black Mecca, now. Your privilege is shining through bright and clear. Get over it, your connection to yesterday's movers and shakers is gone. There are other potholes to fill, priorities that have been ignored for centuries.

I know that Jeff Jackson returns my calls, and Marissa is a complete sweetheart to my family, but I also expect that we need to promote equity in the upcoming CMS bond, that reparations are way overdue, and I cannot expect to be promoted when my company's executive team does not reflect the rainbow of its stakeholders' backgrounds.

Anonymous said...

7:54 I'm impressed I never knew you crack pipe junkies got up so early. Don't let me interrupt you just keep the dream alive.

Repeat after me: I have a dream that one day I'll get my reparations check in the mail the same day I get my SNAP card reloaded.

Can I get a Amen.

Hallelujah Jesus is with me!

Anonymous said...

Everyone of them fools are "CO" rupt!

Anonymous said...

What officer is Eubanks new informer since michalec retired?

Anonymous said...

Crack pipe? What is the cause of the drug use reference? Is that what you resort to when you have no intelligent comment to offer?

Anonymous said...

Off topic…. Where is this president and his administration on these 4 black Americans kidnapped in Mexico.. 2 of which are killed! Where is BLM?! Where is the March for justice? Chants? Signs? “Say their names” and the list of hypocritical horseshit goes on…. NO.. we only protest when there is loss of life by the police, most of the time it’s justified

Anonymous said...

They were down there to buy dope and got caught! Sista ain't gettin'no tummy tuck!

Anonymous said...

If'n yo black din day got yo back, but if'n yo white din it ain't right!

Anonymous said...

Andy Dulin is a dumbass and a liar. And did nothing helpful. Glad you enjoyed coffee with him.

As for the rest of the corrupt council and mayor and their arrogance, refusal to meet with constituents they don't want to meet with, being bought and sold by developers, being too stupid and lazy to know they shouldn't believe City Manager Marcus Jones (no matter how many times he's been caught lying, incompetent & losing hundreds of millions of our money--that we KNOW about), and the rest-- you are correct.

Jeff Jackson is a loser, sell-out tool of a human being. He believes his own cult of personality and managed to get back into office. Terrible.

10:21, I hope you follow up. We have almost no actual reporters in this town. They are PR for the City of Charlotte and cower like babies under threat of having their 'good video' clips and 'scoops' taken away if they ask a follow up question or expose anything. They know the City will continue it's illegal denial/delay of public records and frustrate them.
Scum. The City Manager, City Attorney, Mayor and Council should all be indicted for their collusion in covering up what they do.

Anonymous said...

What's up with Fat Dog McGarrity these days? Is he still violating people's rights and lying so he can get away with it? I glad he's not in Eastway.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad he's not on 3rd shift!