Thursday, May 9, 2024

Bill Fehr May 21, 1969 - May 9, 2020

I miss my conversations with Bill Fehr. Now four years on and I still think of Bill. Of Road Irish and Plans and Dreams. At the time of his death we were just weeks away from a trip to Beaufort and drive by of Parris Island on my Hatteras Yacht. 

As some know Bill was my source for everything Uptown and more.

Just four months prior to Bill's sudden death Jimmy Humphrey convinced Bill to sit down for a podcast. It's epic long but worth the listen even better while enjoying a few beers.


The Cosmic Career Of A Bike Messenger: Bill Fehr

Episode #44 by Jimmy Humphrey January 27, 2020

Today we are going to talk about taking the path less traveled, and what it means to be successful in America. I think today’s show will be a fascinating one. Not only because the topic itself is interesting, but because the person I am talking with today is one of the most interesting and intense people I have ever had the privilege to work with. 

For today’s podcast, I am sitting down to talk with Bill Fehr.  I worked with Bill almost a decade ago when I was a mailroom clerk at a law firm in uptown Charlotte. Bill is a professional bike messenger, and has been zooming in and out of traffic for the past 22 years in uptown Charlotte.

His career as a bike messenger is unconventional, as was his path to get where he is today. I don’t think it’s a career many aspire to while they are in school. In fact, it’s one that many probably would discourage their children from pursuing. But that’s what I love about Bill. He is in fact an unconventional man. But as you will hear in today’s show, Bill is passionate about living life fully, and I think he has a story worth sharing, especially for those who feel in their gut that they need to be doing something other than working in a cubicle for the rest of their lives. 

My interview today is rather long, and runs over an hour, but I think it is one you we really enjoy. I would encourage you to listen to our fascinating conversation in full. I would also like to give a shoutout to all my former co-workers from Nova Office Strategies, which is the company Bill works for, and that I used to work for as well.

The podcast is here. 

No comments: