Thursday, December 23, 2010

Annoying Christmas Cards



I get a lot of Christmas cards, most are wonderful and bring to mind fond memories of friends and family.

For some reason more and more of these annual greetings are in some form of Christmas letter as if the sender feels inclined to detail their entire life just in case they might be considered for Time Magazine's "Person of the Year".

Often these are entertaining, but most are either outright bragging or filled with personal medical details that I'd rather not know.

Come on, I didn't take early retirement this year, I didn't go to Spain or Antarctica, my son didn't earn his 3rd PhD and I darn sure don't want to read about your hip replacement, breast enhancement or that thankfully noncancerous lump they removed from your backside. And pleeeesze don't send me pictures of the above.

While Christmas letters are bad, so are those tasteless humor cards, with dead reindeer, Christmas party jokes or drunk and naked St Nick passed out in front of a Christmas tree.

But by far the most annoying Christmas cards are those sent by friends who have landed the perfect gig aboard mega yachts that have fled the cold and are sitting somewhere in gin clear waters, with cobalt blue skies over head. In this case the location is Antigua.

It's bad enough I have to scrape ice off my windshield but what is up with the pine with fake holly berries border?

4 comments:

Billy Fehr said...

'gin clear waters', brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Cedar I feel the same way about the "what we did this year" letters. I'm glad everyone is fine, but do these people ever think that some of those family members didn't get a new car or big promotion at work?

Whatever happened to just saying we are thinking about you?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had friends in the Islands with a big yacht.

Anonymous said...

But GREAT PHOTO don't you think Cedar?